Reply To: Unit 9: Planning the Motion and Heritage Programs

Foyer Forums Rural Gateways Professional Development Discussions – B Unit 9: Planning the Motion and Heritage Programs Reply To: Unit 9: Planning the Motion and Heritage Programs

JudithMBergeron
Participant

I am very excited about the Heritage and Motion programs – especially after seeing some of the other titles that libraries are choosing.
We have selected “A Long Way Home” by Saroo Brierley for the Motion program. In this non-fiction memoir, the author details his account of getting separated from his family as a very young child in India when he falls asleep on a train. Unable to find his home thousands of kilometers away, he ends up in an orphanage, from which he is adopted by an Australian family. Growing up an Aussie, he remembers things about his birth family and the experience of his move from his small village, then uses Google Earth to amazingly find his way home. The book is the basis for the movie “Lion” starring Dev Patel and Nicole Kidman.

For Heritage, we are planning to share “Henna House” by Nomi Eve and have a local Henna artist come share her Henna knowledge and creative talents as our science partner. This is the only book that I selected without reading first, but the description and reviews seem to nicely fit the Heritage theme. This program is scheduled for April, so I will still have time to change titles if I read it and decide “no way!”

Next post:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us