Reply To: Unit 9: Hesitancy about STEM Programs in My Community

Foyer Forums Rural Gateways Professional Development Discussions – B Unit 9: Hesitancy about STEM Programs in My Community Reply To: Unit 9: Hesitancy about STEM Programs in My Community

KeriWalker
Participant

I think our community is actually full of scientists. Most households have at least one member who works in the local plants or in farming. Besides that, our local hospital is probably the next biggest employer here besides the school system. Even if they aren’t all engineers or chemists, they all deal with chemical processes or refining in some way. In fact, even our astronomy nights have been one of the biggest draws to the library. I think many in my community actually embrace science. But that’s not everyone. And it’s definitely not our regular library users. The ones who show up rain or shine to our programs, the grandmas from the book club, have expressed this hesitancy because of the science content. Some still come because they know we will put on a great program and they will experience great informal learning, no matter the topic. I’m looking forward to trying to reach out to those other, more hesitant members of our community. Both those regulars who fear a science lesson and those STEM-focused people who don’t think the library has much to offer. A great challenge for 2018!

Next post:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us