Reply To: Unit 9: Hesitancy about STEM Programs in My Community

Foyer Forums Rural Gateways professional development discussions Unit 9: Hesitancy about STEM Programs in My Community Reply To: Unit 9: Hesitancy about STEM Programs in My Community

DonnaBlomquist
Participant

I agree with Anne M. Patrons attend obviously “science content” programs at our library as well as attending what at first glance might appear to be a humanities program — but most of those have science in them. I think that’s the point of this grant program — as Mark pointed out in his video, STEM is everywhere; what matters is how it is presented — as an everyday knowledge that we all can use, or something only for people with a very narrow focus in a particular area of science.

I was a bit dismayed that this video regarding hesitancy was a bit negative — almost making me think that offering this content might be difficult. That hasn’t been my experience. Unlike Anne’s success with a program on climate change (which I plan to copy, thank you, Anne!) which would be controversial in my community, I avoided football because, at least in my area, traumatic brain injury in high school sports is even more controversial. When we thought about training and muscle memory, we thought about learning to ride a bike as a child, Olympic gymnasts, or even the tradition of making pizza and “tossing” the crust.

Next post:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us