Reply To: Implementing Your Pushing the Limits Programs: Strategies and Questions

Foyer Forums Implementing Your STEM Public Library Programs – B Implementing Your Pushing the Limits Programs: Strategies and Questions Reply To: Implementing Your Pushing the Limits Programs: Strategies and Questions

RoxanneJensen
Participant

Hello,
Last night we had our first book discussion night, and I thought I would share some of the thoughts that I have now that it is over and done with.

#1: I really studied the book, I had pictures of the caves, book reviews, author facts, we had a sterling scholar give a brief biography about the author: Jean Auel. I made knowledge based bulletin board that went over the depths of knowledge and how we learn….needless to say, that I took an hour of the time. OOPS! In that hour we did show the author video, and had some discussions but still…oops! I wish I would have started with the science portion, and our community partner, because they didn’t get the time they deserved.

#2: Public comments that I thought were interesting: One person didn’t understand how we could jump from cave dwelling to southern cooking, and felt like we should have had two programs..one for the book, one for the science. I don’t think we will do that, but that was an interesting comment. Another person had a concern about how Ayla received her knowledge through hallucinogens and felt like the book was promoting the use of drugs to gain knowledge.

Now that it’s over I can see ways I can make the program better, and not be so over concerned with pushing information. I did have an attendee from last night stop by and let me know how well the program was, so that’s a plus.

Next post:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us