Reply To: How is Everyone's Sessions Going?

DebraLeal
Participant

Hello from Santa Margarita California!
We just finished our four part series April 29th. We had a wonderful response in our community! I would like to know when we will be informed if the program will be at our library 2018 or 2019, so that our friends of the library board will know how to budget for adult events for the next fiscal year.

We read 2 of the recommended books, and 2 of the additional readings and our science partners complemented each theme or book; Survival: The Revenant with Santa Margarita Volunteer Fire Department, Knowledge: The Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy with Central Coast Astronomical Society, Nature: When the Killing’s Done with local field biologist, Connections: Thunderstruck with local historian. We had one of our friends of the library board members assigned to each event to provide prizes and refreshments related to the book or partner. I chose a consistent date for the events so it would be easy for patrons to remember (last Saturday of each month). The events were promoted as part of the library system’s trimester theme “Experiment At Your Library”, and flyers were also posted locally and in the library.

I utilized funds to buy copies of the books for the first 20 who registered, refreshments/prizes, and a $150 stipend to each science partner. I chose the 90 minute program format, but we usually ended closer to 2 hours. We had a local radio producer who interviews authors as part of his programming to facilitate the book discussions. We had an evaluation form for the patrons to fill out at the end of each event.

We had a total of 44 unique patrons attend, which ranged from 15-29 at each event. Our numbers decreased as we began to limit the registration to 20 (due to limited space). 18 males/ 26 females and 5 patrons under age 25 participated.

Our biggest challenge was too small of a space in our library for number of people interested. (29 was just too many for our small library!). The second video “Science In Every Day Life” was not as well received as other parts of the program.
Thank you for this opportunity to increase our programming for adults in our community!
Debra

Next post:

X

Forgot Password?

Join Us