Unit 7: Science Learning

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Karen Brown
      Keymaster

Think about the Pushing the Limits programs that you recently offered at your library. Where and how did you see some concepts covered in Unit 7 become part of the program discussions? Use the notes you made on the What Makes Science “Science”? document and share your observations.

MichelePatrick
      Participant

One of the most enjoyable aspects of the Pushing the Limits programs we offered was observing our library patrons actively engage with our science co-presenter during the book discussions. They asked questions and actively participated in discussing the scientific concepts, rather than just passively listening.

This was a great example of the asset-based method presented in the video of learning through building on existing interests. In the past, our library offered programs where we invited experts to give presentations intended to fill up the listeners with knowledge. The Pushing the Limits programs were much more enjoyable, and I’m sure more useful in terms of what people took away from them.

Michele Patrick – Indianola Public Library

Karen Brown
      Keymaster

Thanks, Michele. It’s great to hear that program participants were engaged in the discussions and, as a result, seemed to leave the program with more to consider/pursue.

Amy McKeever
      Participant

I like how Michele mentioned how people were actively participating in discussing the concepts. I was thinking that Pushing the Limits was still a little narrow, in that we are still choosing a topic to help people learn about (rather than fully responding to their interest). But, I think by having it be a discussion rather than a presentation, and with many touch points on science and life, people were more able to focus on the areas they were curious about and discussion went in those directions.

Another area I saw – we had our science partner (or a community partner) present a little about their own field and current work (or hobby) and how that related to the theme of the day. I think having someone from the community share personally about their work and issues they were seeing and how they were solving them, helped pique the group’s interest, and they asked followup questions to learn more, even if it wasn’t something they were previously interested, or even going to continue to learn about. But it gave a little interesting window on a science area that they briefly pursued.

KariRingelberg
      Participant

I understand the need of our library being a tool to share information. Health topics seem to be a popular here. The programs we’ve offered that have to do with mental health or physical health are well attended and bring out discussion as patrons strive to learn more – at all ages. Having a presenter who is able to connect with the patrons is so important. I agree that discussions fare better than just be talked at by a presenter

I am still working out how to meet the patrons’ needs in our community as they are very erratic as to what they attend and find interest in. Surveys haven’t really helped in narrowing this field and, besides health and history, some science themed programs have not been well attended. I hope this new round of programs for Tradition and Transformation will be well received. Using the ideas presented in helping make our patrons more knowledgeable to make better/smarter decisions is a good guide in to what to look at for future program topics. Feeding their knowledge of topics learned beyond school on making their lives better in all sorts of ways.

MichaelSullivan
      Participant

In our community, like many others, interests are very diverse except in a few areas. In the first round of Pushing the Limits, many of the participants were from the field of education, some from the world of art and only a couple were what I would call a normal library patron from the community. Although everyone of them have expressed an interest in seeing Phase II get here!
      My challenge is to attract more people who are our regular patrons involved to look at science from a new perspective. I am thinking of challenging the last group’s participants to bring a friend to this next phase and get them involved. Also, I have definitely increased the collection’s science base books!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
X

Forgot Password?

Join Us